No, it wasn't life of death like..shall we say ...a pacemaker ..but nevertheless..
We will collectively be more careful in the future.
Meanwhile , back at the ranch...
We watched the first part of the Ken Burns series on the Roosevelts and I liked it, hisself for the most part snored on the sofa as is his custom . But..there was more than one point in the program when we were both awake ( who knew ? It's a miracle ~ ! ) and we turned to each other and blurted out " Dayum..Teddy is just bat shit crazy ( BSC ) , isn't he ? "
Bear with me. I have a great admiration for Teddy, Eleanor and FDR . Teddy in particular had some things to overcome that would have just felled a lesser spirit , but that is also part of the problem....and where the BSC comes in. Yes, he had asthma and was a sickly youth and like most people of that era , he was encouraged to tough it out, buck up, push himself into a physical shape that would defeat his conditions. Men were men and manly men at that , so this is what you did, you took no prisoners and vanquished your foe. You built yourself up and for some it made a difference. To a point this is effective but at the same time it tells me how very little was known at the turn of the century about various illnesses .Sadly when he was just beginning a career in politics, both his first wife and mother died within less than a day of each other....so he basically chucked it all and headed west. He got to the badlands and began to rebuild his life .
At this point the episode got really interesting because it dove in to Teddy's ego and shameless sense of self promotion. He didn't dress appropriately for various occasions, he had costumes made. His force of personality was such that eventually he won over the cynics. It also helped that he staged and had photographed some of his more daring and questionable exploits. Watching his behavior with the Rough Riders seemed to show a blantent disregard for the men under his command and clear moments of self destructive behavior. In todays world, one might wonder if he was in fact bi-polar.
And I wondered all of this before he became president after McKinleys death !
It was a different time and a different world true, but some of the excesses were just unbelievable.
We are recording all of it so this should be a hoot.
Tonights adventure on the way home probably involves a new phone.
Note : If you are following "Dallas " on TNT and haven't seen last nights ep, go no further in this post.
I'm a tad irked and then more irked at myself that I am irked at all if that makes sense.
Um..writer type folks..you really didn't think this through did you ?
1. The murder of Hunter McKay. You could have taken one more episode to promote the back story here. There are probably few ( save Moi) who remember that Hunters grandfather , ( wonderfully portrayed by the late George Kennedy ) was at one point the CEO of Weststar Oil. By the end of the final season ( 14 ! ) of the show, he had swindled and in turn been swindled by JR/ Bobby /Cliff Barnes . Little if any backround was given so , it made no sense at all as to why he ( Hunter McKay ) along with Nicholas ( armed with Cliff's 3% holding of Ewing Global shares ) would go after Ewing Global. The show has promoted the generational aspect of revenge nicely but without the backround , Hunter McKay came off as some smart ass rick punk ..and that's about all . Why make his murder an obvious plot point if we as the audience don't give a rats ass about the character ?
2. Carlos as the head of the Cartel ? DUH ! I mean really..no shit Sherlock. Old family friend...right.
Old family friend who can grease the wheels with the government to get JR's body across the border without questions ? Old family friend who seems to have at hand purported information about Nicholas / Joaquin ready to give Bobby at the first opportunity ? Really ? People who have that much power rarely spend that much time acting behind the scenes if they are legitimate
3. Ryland ..oh my giddy aunt. Give me a flipping break. Who in their right mind decided that the best course of action was to tell his narcissistic pill popping nympho daughter who has zero impulse control about his work for the CIA ????? Bless them Miss Ellie, they are all hat , no cattle. The first time Emma gets pissed off at Ryland or Granny Mc Whoreson or both, that child will be shooting off her mouth to anyone and everyone about her Daddy . Lets see....Daddy's a bastard control freak big bidness man, Granny runs a brothel, one lover murdered, one lover kicked her to the curb, Mama isn't presently living at Southfork and now she and Anne have been kidnapped and are being held hostage by the cartel. That child has no loyalty to anyone other than herself and you are going to trust her with your secret identity ? Ryland , you are a huge dumb ass and your mama should smack you repeatedly upside the head..except in her case, she'd probably fall apart like the broads in " Death Becomes Her ."
4. Bobby. Once and for all stop being such a fucking hypocrite . Yes dear, you were the middle child, the good child and I understand that dynamic . You had no problem framing Cliff , protecting Bum and covering up JR's cancer....but yet again , Ryland puts a move on Anne and someone has to come running to you ..and you leave her no choice but to leave the ranch ? Ok..let me see if I get this ..framing Cliff for the one thing he didn't do was okey doke because Bobby good/Cliff bad but you can't get past Ryland kissed Anne..and she didn't run home to fess up to St Bobby ? I don't know about Anne Ewing , but being a hypocrite is in the top three things that I hate above all else....I'd be done with you right about now bucko .
On the other hand the one thing that is brilliant and still ringing true is that face that Cliff Barnes is bat shit crazy and if Ken Kercheval doesn't get at least an Emmy nomination ..well that just ain't right either come to think of it .
Tis I , back from vacay and basically taking the summer off with an occasional post or 3. ( Actual disclaimer..there wasn't a whole lot to write about and I bored the crap out myself even with all the bitching I was doing. Venting is one thing but too much is still too much).
As I said, vacation was great. It is always nice to see Sistah and all the family but I found that one of the things that I enjoyed the most was being totally disconnected .
You heard me.
You see, out in the Paloose where I was, the farm is far enough out of town that you have to go into town to basically get cell service. Oh there is the occasional , random fluke bit of 2 inch area out by the Hottub ( Admit it, you're reading that word and hearing Eddie Murphy in your head, aren't you ? ) on the back patio but if all of college twinkies are back ( they were all bright eyed and bushy tailed )
all of the possible signals were kaput. I know it sounds scary but if there was an actual need, it's not far to town so it wasn't like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic by any means.
I did not miss TV . Easily caught up on and everything is a rerun except :
IT'S RETURNING THIS THURSDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry , indoor voice now in use .
Neither did I miss Faceslap..err....Facebook.
Okay..maybe I missed Criminal Case a bit but the game isn't going anywhere.
The point is that none of us really realize how wired in we are, especially my generation. Hell most 6 year olds know more than I do about the innerwebs. But it is possible nevertheless to actually engage in moments of real conversation and shared experiences...and I highly recommend it . Now you might not be as lucky as I was to share early morning coffee with tame deer each morning ( twin fauns, 3 does and a 4 point....and they were completely cute and tame as long as they limited themselves to the old apple orchard and not the potted petunias on the patio . Then they are told to shoooo....yes, they are that tame.)
Either I get the hell out of Dodge or various acts of mayhem will occur.
Let's just list the highlights, shall we ?
1. I did not go to school to become as obsessed as some of the co-workers that I have to tolerate with regards to the status/operational function or tidiness of the womens fucking bathroom on my floor. Contrary to popular belief, that is NOT listed in my job description, not even loosely falling under the umbrella of " duties as deemed necessary ". I can and do send the property management an email with a service request as needed.
Not a big deal.
However , even after 30 + years here , these entitled , shrews with all the warmth and compassion of Elizabeth Bathory seem to feel a God given compulsion to continuously come up to me to report, advise , question and discuss the problem de jour in graphic terms...again and again and again and again and again.
JUST FUCKING ENOUGH !
The property management has been alerted. It will be attended to .
AND...................NO, I DO NOT KNOW WHEN !
And you wonder about my attitude ?
2. The conference room situation. Now this is a part of my actual job, riding herd on meeting space and scheduling same . In the past this has been a no brainer. But as we become busier , since there are only 4 rooms available on this floor at any given time , the possibility that you will in fact be able to use a room for your bullshit birthday breakfast/cake/geedunk decreases proportionately. Do not bristle if I politely ask which attorney, number of people involved and so on. Two of the rooms are smaller than the others. I try to accomodate your actual needs with space available. Booking a room at the lunch hour for you and your BFF's to eat your lunch because after all , you are not only special but also deserving of this boon...HELL NO. These rooms are dedicated to actual CLIENT MEETINGS .The kind the attorneys can BILL for . You know..that pesky little procedure that generates OUR PAYCHECKS ? Not to mention that it is widely known that cleaning up and or removing your beverage cup/glasses and removing your food debris....is after all beneath you....AIN'T MY PROBLEM BITCH. I doubt a client would appreciate the aroma of BBQ or what ever noxious aromas linger long after you have begrudgingly tromped back to your desk at the cube farm as you pine for Prince Charming to take you away from all of this splendour.
In other news............
Why do people think it is permissible to interrupt others when the former sees the latter quietly reading on their own property ? It never fails. You get to the best part of the chapter and here they come. ....and I was raised right. I close the book and give my attention to my guests . I would'nt mind half as much if they would occasionally ask if then was a good time to walk over..but then knowing me , I would agree out of politeness regardless of what I was doing....
See what I mean ?
I need a drink, a nap, a cupcake and out of here...not necessarily in that precise order.
At least SU has the common sense to know when to give me space when I am stressed ...
I found this while noodling around Pinterest and thought what the hell. It's that time of year where it is officially hotter than Satan's underoos and I am bored with being bored with food. One of the things that I love about autumn is that I am more apt to get my brain engaged in the kitchen . Pinterest is a grat way too archive recipes that I want to try and save before I have one of my usual " WTH did I see that fill in the blank recipe again ? "
AKA : Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh !
No , I have not dropped off the planet..I 'm hostage to my kindle and Anne Rice . Since she has a NEW LeStat coming out in October I am re-reading all of the vampire books.
I am one of those folks who watched the first movie more than once and just flat out loved it . I love bad science fiction B films..not the gore fest popular today and not horror films.
Freddy, Jason and Chuckie can go take a hike.
What I love are films that have humor.
Also known as anything with my boy Bruce.
Like badly edited martial arts movies.
" Dialogue, dialogue, scowl, angry face, more verbiage....".
Translation : " No ! " .
I fell in love with the first Sharknado because no on involved took it or themselves seriously. They weren't so self aware about it that it insulted the audience, it was more .." Hey ..this shits gonna be a hoot ..lets rock this ."
Much like " Bubba Hotep".
Sharknado 2, The Second One ..or just S2 was the same with the added bonus of many cameos. In the first 5 minutes you had Robert Hayes ( Airplane ) as the pilot...Kelly Osbourne as a flight attendant and The Wheatons ( Yes................both Wil and Anne - bonus ! ) get eaten by sharks. Sharks that were flying through the air in turbulence, hitting the plane..actually more like taking bites out of it..and so on.
The cameos were wonderful :
Wil and Anne Wheaton
Billy Rae Cyrus
Downtown Julie Brown
Her co - host whose name escapes me
The black business man from " Shark Tank "
It was wonderful !
SyFy will be running both again this weekend...look out for the bits where Nova in the first one actually explosion jumps in her escape before the actual truck ignites.