Friday, November 22, 2013

Swedish Almond Cake

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups sugar 1 free-range egg 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract 2/3 cup milk 1 1/4 cups flour 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon 8 tablespoons butter, melted Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F Beat sugar, egg, almond extract and milk together. Add flour and baking powder, finally adding the butter.

Spray baking dish (approx. 10" by 7") with spray oil or any non-stick coating. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until skewer or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.

Cool for 20 minutes, then remove from pan.

When ready to serve dust with icing sugar and cut cake into slices approximately 1" by 3.5"


I have a real love hate relationship with being half Swedish .

There are some things I really love :

ABBA
Spritz Cookies
Good Salmon
Krrumkaka.

Other things I really dislike, for example :

IKEA ( I mean really , have you EVER had one of those whatchahootzits ever get assembled the way it was intended ? )
Badly made Swedish meatballs
Lutfisk


While I really love Norse Mythology, having named number one son Loki , I spent far too many years having the Lutheran credo rammed down my throst and so there are times I just ran like hell from all of it.

Now that I have gotten officially old, and the grandparents and mother are long gone, there are times I actually miss the family connection of it all.....or the baking . They are forever entwined in my memory with the vivid pictures of Grandma Engwall baking up a storm from scratch dontchaknow on Saturday afternoons while Grandpa worked on the next days sermon.

I can see in my minds eye my Grandmother making this as she kept an eye on the coffee on the stove for Grandpa ..

Must be the holidays creeping up on me.

Any who..try this tea bread , because that is really what it is..

What can I say , I've got the baking Jones going ...

WHEE !

Have a great weekend.

Ciao,
Aunty Pol

No comments: