Friday, August 03, 2012

Happy Friday ~ Bruce Of The Day ~ !



I have to laugh at this point.
I understand the OMG factor at this point after IKE. We all got hit really hard, but that was a fluke.
A Friggan Fluke.
We used to tell Daddy that we are far enough north of the island ( Galveston) that for us to be in real danger, a storm would " Have to travel up the Ship Channel " .
Look at a map of Texas.
Locate Houston, then locate Galveston island.
Now...look at a map of Houston.
Locate IAH ( Bush Intercontinental Airport Houston).
We live by the airport.
Now look back at Galveston Island .
And look at IAH.
Lather.
Rinse .
Repeat.

It was a God awful fluke and I hope I never go through that again.
I survived Alicia in 1983 in the Webster/Clear Lake area, where the fire department came door to door and suggested that we evacuate. I politely asked where do we go , w live here.
Since the evacuation was voluntary, we stayed.
Since this was not my first time at the rodeo so to speak having lived on the coast of Virginia during Camille, I wasn't too worried.

Ike was different, so much so that let's just say 10 or 11  days with out power was the least of it.
Food and  clean , hot water became a real issue.

So, yes, we are watching Ernesto, and there are 2 other storms developing.
Down here it's also called August.
The Gulf water is hot.

And as far as I am concerned , I am still going to New Orleans .
The rooms are paid for dammit.

Yes, if it looks bad....screw the money...I may be crazy but I am not insane.

Have a great weekend.

Ciao,
Aunty Pol

No comments: