Tuesday, June 03, 2014

RIP Mary Stewart. - May 15, 2014 .

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/15/mary-stewart

How is the hell did I miss this ?

Most folks who know me know that I am a trivia junkie and a "self " medicating Bookaholic. I used to say that if you can't find me in the mall , check shoe stores and book stores. You will save yourself a lot of time by just starting at the closest bookstore and zeroing in on the Science Fiction /Fantasy section.

Long before I first read any of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series or Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders Of Pern , I discovered Mary Stewart and the Crystal Cave series.

It was and is brilliant .

I guess I was maybe 14 at the time and it made a lasting impression on me because of the depth of her writing. It wasn't overblown or coated in sugar the way some fables and fairy tales can be so I found myself responding to the music of her words and became a life long reader.

I will read almost anything that catches my attention and so I have waded through many disappointments ( I WILL finish this idiotic insert name here book ) ..but along with many beloved and now deceased authors, she is in my arsenal of friends to revisit again and again.

If you haven't read anything of hers, go to your favorite data source whether it be Google, Amazon or Wikipedia and check her out.


Happy Reading !

Ciao,
Aunty Pol

No comments: