Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In Defense Of Cake Mixes





Any one who knows me , knows that I love to bake.
More often than not , I am a scratch baker...I love the process.
Then there are other times that I want a cake NAOW.
So I will use a CAKE MIX...preferably Duncan Hines.
Ask around.
Most of the time DH is the one most gals I know use.
Cake mixes are a hell of a lot better than they were in our mothers day.
Below is my Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake Recipe.
Enjoy.
Set oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour your bundt cake pan. I use cocoa powder instead of flour for all chocolate cakes and Kroger cocoa is just fine for this.
Mix together:
1 package ( 18,25 ounces ) Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
1 package ( 3.9 ounces ) Jello instant pudding -fudge flavor
4 large eggs - room temperature please
1 cup full fat sour cream
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup applesauce ( if you buy the Motts individual serving cups 4 ounces equals 1/2 cup.)
1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract.
Mix all of the above at low speed for one minute..then jack it up to medium and mix for 2 to 3 minutes more , scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
Do not freak out as this is a fairly thick batter.
Pour into the bundt pan and smooth the top....I usually smack the pan on the counter once or twice ...I have OLD Formica counter tops. You are on your own if you mess up your granite or marble cook surfaces...just sayin.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes until a tooth pick or metal kabob skewer comes out clean...it's what I use .
When completely cooled..yes..agony , I know....remove cake from pan.
Frosting by the way is optional.
Find Fork .
Find plate.
Find NCIS on tv.
Dig in.
Gotta go..the cake on the counter in the cake keeper is taunting me.
Ciao,
Aunty Pol


5 comments:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Mmmmmm.... ever try it with an orange glaze? Or would that be overkill? Personally I'm more for cake than frosting and like unglazed/frosted cakes, but that just sprang to mind.

Aunty Pol said...

I think if I was to do a simple pound cake with the orange extract..yes on the glaze but with the deeper chocolate cake /pudding mixes..the glaze seems overkill...as I am stuffing mah mouf.


Hugs

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

I love a doctored up cake mix! Sometimes they are better than my from-scratch cakes :)

Sue said...

I am hereby copying this recipe.

And thanks for the mention of Myron in another post. xo

Aunty Pol said...

Feel free to copy any of the recipes I throw up ( eww...LOL) here ...They are here for the sharing.


Hugs