Monday, November 22, 2010

An Interesting Day

It's been an interesting day for the SU.


Yes, this is the graphic I have used before when I talked about the situation with his late Mother and don't panic..nothing bad to report here.

And I'm just kinda tapped out on the " Monday , John Barrowman " thingy right now, I need new stuff....anyhoo.

Today is Pop's 82 birthday so SU , being SU took the day off to spend with his Dad. The first thing you have to know is that they are the proverbial two peas in a pod..for all the good and bad that that can be. I do not know if I have ever met two more mule headed men...ever. Looks, attitudes , mannerisms..you get my drift.


SU has always rebelled against this idea. He is the wild child in the family..the hippy..tell him to go right, his usual response is a hearty " F You...I'm hookin a left. His younger sister was always the responsible one, the go to one...the good one..and the more this was shown or implied the more he rebelled. I have made known to my husband at various, vociferous times how much this pisses/pissed me off but him being him either shrugged it off or internalized it all. It seems men do that.,it was the role he was cast in.

For the greater part of our marriage, his mother had dealt with cancer, heart issues, brittle bones, a colostomy and a myriad of other lesser issues. It was what it was. For the last few years as we both watched the final act, I actively encouraged him to spend as much time on the weekends as I could with them .

Yesterday he went to his parents church and did the holiday ( Thanksgiving cafeteria food ) dinner bit.

Today he took the day off and spent the day, just him and his dad playing golf and hanging out.

And it was one of the best days of his life if you asked him.


The pressure and the guilt and the obligation of being a child watching a parent cope with the shit was gone.

It's been six months and they are both in their own way moving on and making a new path for themselves.

It was a good day.


Ciao,

Aunty Pol

No comments: