Monday, March 14, 2011

Mondays

Yep...Mondays.

The weekend was a real mixed bag to use and old phrase...give yourself a cookie if you've ever used the term "mixed bag".


I got a call that I had missed earlier in the week and even though I have gotten used to having my phone on at all times when I am home ( as opposed to before because I HATED that POS phone..I lubs me mah new phone)..I also missed a text from Southside Johnny aka baby brother.I know , I know, I need to stop calling him baby brother...he's 50 and " baby brother" just sounds a bit skeevy at our age.

Anyhoo...it didn't take long to realize that something was wrong in the universe, there was a ripple in the force. Without going into too much detail because it is not my story to tell per se, the Step Momma has breast cancer and it is stage 4.

We all know there is no stage 5.

She had indicated around the holidays that she was about to begin a prolonged dance with chemo.

Then I found out that she has been on some sort of experimental treatment...I want to say that it is Hylaxon which is not the right word I know ..but it's the one that is stuck in my brain.

She sounded rather fragile when she and I spoke Friday...I know..duh....and so I didn't press her for details..this is her journey and not the moment to play Perry Mason with someone. I do know that she is fearful of pain, and after all aren't we all ? At her age, which is over 80, they may have collectively decided to try this course...I don't know...I do know that Southside and I are worried and our stepsister Miss Laura is on her way out there and will text data, info etc.

I debated on sharing this, but then after all , I realized that I have shared my MIL's journey and SU and I are now better versed in cancer than we ever hoped to be..so when I feel the need or the urge...I will share.

Again, we know that there is nothing that we can do and I for one am again reminded that this is not my mother. All we can do is give her and my step sibs all the love and support that we can muster..


SO me being me, when I am upset, I plant or bake.

I planted petunias, salvia, geraniums, yellow daisy sorta things, verbena..repotted some ..so the back is arrgh..and I have always made a commando run around the end of March or April..all things are possible when it approaches my birthday.


Then........even tho I was feeling puny with the sinus thing..dingbat here decided to make a TRIPLE batch of Grandma's oatmeal raisin cookies.

Hah!

Ok..rookie mistake..you really do need a full 6 cups of the rolled oats for a triple batch or they will spread too far..and the small ice cream scoop thingy is still to bit so it will be old school with 2 teaspoons. Luckily rather than futz with it last night, I put the dough in the fridge and will work the other 1/2 cup of oats into it and bake some of them off while he is at the Crazy Cajun's playing cards...

And the house is still a wreck...it was sort of a WTF weekend..Step Momma's situation sort of blew all hopes of concentrating on anything on my part...cause that's how I roll.


Have a good week.


Ciao,


Aunty Pol

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

(((Aunty))) I'm so sorry about the news. Know your step momma and your family will be in my prayers through the journey. You are coping and the love is going around - the house will wait.