Monday, July 23, 2012

Holy Crap ~ I Can Has Adulthood ? ~

Happy Monday Y'all.
Life sometimes takes funny turns...I know..." Duh Aunty..you just figure that out ?"
For example...when you are living payday to payday , like everyone else , you have  a list of wants a mile and a half long...
I want a new car.
I want new furniture.
I want those shoes I saw.
I want to really make a food run at Kroger that would include actual beef.
Everyone does that and it is normal to dream of those things that catch our eye.
The Shinies.
That is not the same as the needs.
We all need shelter, food , health and an emotional support system, whether it be a spouse, a friend or a pet.

One of the biggest things I have learned recently is that I am pretty clear on my wants versus my needs.

Because of an inheritance , I am about to be able to breath for quite possibly the first time in my adult life.
I am a fretter..a worrier...
I am my mothers daughter.

Now don't get me wrong...we own our own home  and car.
Our health for two over the hill hippies is fairly decent ...give or take.
Our babies,(  especially Xena Wooby Diddums whose eye is sooo much better )  are healthy and happy.
We pay our bills on time.
We count our blessings or at least I openly admit to it because I know that there are  a lot of folks out there worse off than we are.
We have been married long enough to know that we don't need to sweat the small stuff ...in  other words..an argument is not the end of the world and that we are in it for the long haul.

So to realize that for once we will have money in savings is downright freaking my ass out y'all .
I love my husband but I have had to fight him tooth and nail for every dollar in savings...just sayin hon..you openly admit this too.
He and I just have different viewpoints .

Him: " You might as well have that pizza and live like theres  no tomorrow because you could be hit by a bus."
Me: " But what if you don't get hit..what then ?"

See ?

It becomes reflexive or at least it did  to me once it sunk in that I have an option or two.

I NEED a new roof.
I WANT shoes.

I NEED a new dishwasher.
I WANT those earrings I saw on Etsy.

I NEED to pay off a couple of bills.
I WANT to run amok in Bed Bath And Beyond.

I NEED and WANT to see Sistah and Double Oh this year.

THAT will happen.

It's really no debate, the needs trump the wants.
It's not even a close contest.
Sadly, it is something I doubt Southside Johnny will ever learn.

But..he is a grown man and it's his life.

Have a great week.

Ciao,
Aunty Pol


No comments: