Tuesday, July 03, 2012

OH Noes..Not Sheriff Andy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


One of the last remnants of my childhood has passed away.
RIP Mr. Griffith.
I don't want to sound sappy because if you have never seen " A Face In The Crowd ( 1957 ) "...rent it or que it on Netflix. It will blow you away with the power and scope of his performance . You can't appreciate the deep down genuine goodness of Sheriff Andy if you haven't seen the depth of anger, greed and ego that Andy Griffith showed  as Larry " Lonesome " Rhodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Face_in_the_Crowd_(film)

Just read the wikipedia synopsis and you will see the difference in the two characters.

Yes , Mayberry was idealized and a wonderful place to live as seen through todays eyes. No one can deny that, but to me, more than anything..more than Barney's ineptitude or Aunt Bee's toxic pickles , it was the writers and Mr. Griffith's capacity to show human decency and kindness that still mean so much to me. 
As I've gotten older, I've begun to appreciate that more and more. Make no mistake, I still adore scores of different formats..everything from Masterpiece Mystery to Southpark..everything has its place.

But..admit it...didn't we all occasionally wish our dads were as understanding as Andy was when Opie made a mistake ?

I know I'm not the only one that cried when Andy had to explain about the baby bird that Opie tried to rescue...I know  I wasn't.

RIP Mr. Griffith.

The fishin hole's waitin on ya.

Your Fan,
Aunty Pol

1 comment:

sunflowerch said...

So sad! I’ve been able to watch the old shows in the mornings since I’ve been home. I’ve learned so many life-lessons from it. I have wished a million times that I lived in a place like Mayberry!