Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Photo and recipe courtesy of
http://www.crazyforcrust.com/2011/12/almond-toffee-bars.html



Almond Toffee Bars
Recipe adapted from Land o’ Lakes
Ingredients:
1 ½ cups flour
½ cup powdered sugar
6 ounces sliced almonds (1 package)
1 cup cold butter
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8-ounce) package milk chocolate toffee bits
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour, sugar, and ¼ cup of almonds in a medium bowl. Cut in butter (I use a pastry cutter) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Line a 9x13” baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Press butter mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
2. Stir sweetened condensed milk, toffee bits, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Pour over hot, partially baked crust. Top with remaining almonds and continue baking 23-27 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.
Yield: 36 bars








There is something about almond and toffee, especially when it still warm from the oven that makes me so..almost Betty Crocker-ish that I can't stand it.


I have to mix an adult beverage and sit down, especially this time of year.




Le Holidays...Le Sigh.


I am not crafty.


I have to pay people to wrap my gifts..that is...those that are not gift cards , because I have no patience.


Fancy , thick , pricey paper...thin, dime store..it doesn't matter.


Yes..I hear you , there are those things called " bags".


Indeed, I have met then and not only met them, I have used them and still do.


But..but , not everything fits in a bag..


So I pay people.




I don't do decorations any more, I haven't since Daddy died and frankly, the " Charlie Brown " Christmas tree does quite nicely.




I don't set the table with every known holiday bauble known to man from Oriental Traders, I leave that to SU's sister..that's her thing..her house..her rules.




I barely get out Christmas cards.


I am not my mother with a list in the old fashioned address books that have a place where you can check off who sent what to whom in any given year.


I have never understood how Christmas cards turned into a score keeping event..my bad I guess.




Try as I might, I simply cannot keep the house clean or presentable for more than a day and a half.


Damn near every night, some kitty urps a bit of food that they inhaled on the carpet because they were afraid Gracie Marie would grab their plates.


They are not far from wrong..


Damn cat thinks she's Goldilocks looking for " just right ".




I guess I'm glad that most if not all of my friends are nearsighted.




I'm just frustrated right now , and a lot of this is displaced grief...yeah.




So when in doubt..post another ass buster baked delicacy.




Yep...I can hear my voluptuous ass expanding even as we speak.




I may not be Martha or whatever, but there is one thing I can do.




I can bake with the best of them.




And so I do.






Ciao,




Aunty Pol

No comments: