Thursday, July 18, 2013

Crock Pot/Slow Cooker French Dips



French Dips :

1 4 to 5 lb Beef Roast ( I used a regular beef roast , not a pot roast )
2 cups water
2 cups beef broth ( low sodium is what I use )
2 pkgs. dry instant onion soup mix ( I use Liptons and will use the beefy onion next time )
Salt and pepper to taste.

Optional : Garlic powder to taste ( I cannot cook beef with out garlic)
                Sweet Bell peppers ( I like the jars of red ones )
                Sauteed onions
                 Provolone or cheese of choice
                 Sub or Hoagie rolls


 Pour 1 to 1 1./2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and heat.
Salt and pepper beef to taste.
Sear all sides of the beef .
Place beef in the bottom of the slow cooker
Add water, broth, dry soup on top of roast.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours then reduce heat to low for another 3 hrs or until done depending on the temperature of your crock pot.

The roast will be done when it falls apart using 2 forks.It will be fully cooked and not pink so don't freak out if you prefer rare beef as I usually ( always ) do .

When desired doneness is reached remove beef from crockpot and shred .

Place shredded beef on roll , top with garnish of choice the above optionals or not and cheese. Place under broiler until cheese melts,

Serve with Au Jus.

Die Happy.


Review :  4 1/2 Stars. out of 5 stars ( Hey, nothing is perfect.)

I made this last Sunday and it was the easiest thing ever. Since there was plenty of Au Jus left over, I put it in the fridge to cool off  so that I could skim any fat. This will  then be frozen for a base for French Onion Soup. I may also add some additional onions to the beef /broth mixture as it cooks .

However..next time I will use all beef broth instead of broth and water .

SU LOVED IT and it's a keeper.

Enjoy,
Aunty Pol

No comments: