Monday, July 19, 2010

When The Day Is Shot To Hell


First The Recipe;
Knorr's Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the following :
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach that is thawed and squeezed as dry as possible.
1 pkg. ( 8 oz ) cream cheese , softened.
3/4 cup mayo ( NOT MIRACLE WHIP)
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese ( I prefer the Monterrey Jack)
1 pkg. Knorr vegetable recipe mix ( should have this recipe there on the pkg.)
1 jar ( 14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped.
1 can ( 8 oz ) water chestnuts, drained and chopped.
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
Combine all of the above saving 1.2 cup of the shredded cheese. Spoon into a 2 qt. dish and top with the reserved 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
Bake for 35 minutes till bubbly.
Lose your mind.
Variation:
Omit the artichokes and add lump crab meat.
I like to serve this using the round Kings Hawaiian Bread as a bread bowl....YUM !
Beyond the usual..there is a story behind this.
This weekend , specifically yesterday was a disaster on the scale of an Irwin Allen movie.
Hisself got the carrot cake made and schlepped it off to the Ice House..fine and dandy. Jere Lee and I had decided that we would go just us gals to dinner for her birthday..again...fine and dandy.
And then the rain began.
Our original plan was to go about 6: 30 -ish...eearly enough to avoid a wait but later than the " I'll be damn'd if I (we) are going to the 4:30 version of the senior special at Denny's .
F DAT !
And it began to rain sideways .
We delayed an hour and then off we went.
Fabulous dinner at Pappa's....I am in love with their hot spinach dip, especially if you add lump crab meat.
Don't go nuts on me here...it was her birthday and my treat.
And withoug even trying I managed to walk out of there with a guys phone number and facebook info....that story will be saved for another time...bwahahaha
Anyhoo...
He was home before we were and I had already suspected that he was in the initial throes of his annual head cold...wheeeeee.
Yesterday it rained a bit and we piddled around the house.
I had a plan.
I got the bacon done for the breakfast taco's that I make at home for myself every workday and then....................
I was going to make the cupcakes for the birthday girl and pimp them out with all of the uber cute Wilton stuff that I either already had or had picked up at Tarjay.
Then I was going to get the house picked up....shower and then get the stuff started for the tacos so that the three of us could have a nice and leisurely dinner.
And..the MF power went out for almost 5 hours.
At one point it came back on for all of a second..then it went again.
GRRRR..
We foraged...I stuffed Sudafed down his gullet and we crashed.
And the power went out again at 2:15 this morning.
Happy days !
He won't be playing cards tonight as is his custom at the cajuns because I an not confident that he will actually make it through the whole day.
I'll feed him zoup with his tabasco....he only eats zoup when he feels puny and make a batch of hotdish for his lunch this week.
Taco's can wait.
Jere will get her cupcakes because after all, it's not a birthday, it's a birth week.
On the upside..we got Lola back, HUZZAH !
On the other hand, there is a leak in the ceiling in the guest room that has to be traced down...and it's gonna rain more this week.
Sigh.
Have a great week.
Ciao,
Aunty Pol

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Yay, LOLA! Yay, birthweek girl time! Yay, dip (all variations - got to try this one). Boo, sideways rain, annual cold and big boo to leak.

Been storming here, with sideways rain, too. But, lordy, we need the rain so I won't complain.